Biology is the study of the characteristics and behaviors of all living organisms. This would include all animals such as birds, amphibians, reptiles, fish, insects, and mammals. Animals have existed for over 610 million years. We have them in our homes, in zoos, forests, deserts, oceans, swamps and jungles. The animal kingdom is diverse and fascinating and has always had a way of captivating our interests and hearts. The following resources provide a plethora of information on animals from their habitats, life cycles, characteristics, and more. Take a tour of zoos, jungles and underwater habitats and get to really know the animals of our planet.
- Oakland Zoo: A collection of articles and videos fact sheets of birds, amphibians, mammals, reptiles and arthropods.
- Animal Planet: Watch videos and see photos of wildlife.
- Electronic Zoo: A collection of resources teaching about animals of classification.
- Field Guides: Comprehensive list of animal guides.
- Amazing Animals: A collection of resources of videos, sounds, fact sheets and maps of creatures.
- E-species: Learn about over 50 species from continents all over the world.
- Sea World: Sea World is committed to showing a true representation of the natural world in education. You’ll find a collection of fact sheets, sound clips, and virtual habitats.
- Wildlife: The Defenders Wildlife is dedicated to preserving wildlife species and habitats. Here you can view over 100 fact sheets of endangered animals.
- The National Zoo: Take a virtual tour anytime of the day and see almost 400 species.
- New England Aquarium: Explore the exhibits and profiles of species in the New England Aquarium.
Animal Lesson Plans
- Marine Discovery: A collection of marine lesson resources.
- Lesson Plans Library: Animals: Discovery Education offers a great list of animal lesson plans for teachers.
- Just for Teachers: Sea World and Busch Gardens have created a fantastic page just for teachers.
- Teacher’s Guides: Teacher Guides from Sea World and Busch Gardens on a variety of animals and topics.
- Wildlife Lesson Plans: A collection of wildlife lesson plans provided by the College of Agriculture Sciences.
- Nature: Lesson Plans and Guides for Teachers: PBS offers a complete set of nature guides for teachers here.
- Animal Tracks – What Do They Reveal: Check out this fun lesson plan from the Smithsonian National Zoological Park to learn more about animal tracks.
- Animal Classification: Discovery Education has a great lesson plan for K-5 on animal classification.
- Habitat and Animals: A first grade lesson for teaching about habitats and the animals that live in them.
- African Animals: Students learn about characteristics of animals in the African Savannahs.
- Bird Lessons: A lesson teachers can use to teach about the characteristics of birds.
- Animal Kingdom: Four lesson plans teaching about the animal kingdom.
- Animal Classification Unit: This resource has 4 assessments and two test.
- Arctic Animals: Students develop an understanding of arctic animals with this Web Quest.
- Animals of the Seas: A 6-8 week lesson plan-covering animals around and in water.
- Science Birds: A collection of 3rd to 6th grade bird lesson plans.
- Australian Animals: Lesson plan and activities teaching students about Australian animals.
- Reptiles: A social studies activity for kindergarten
- Animal Crafts: A resource for teachers to teach about animals with crafts and activities.
- Five Kingdoms: Teachers can use this 3-5 day activity to teach students about the five kingdoms. In this activity students must create a PowerPoint for each kingdom.
- Animal Clips: Over a thousand videos of children’s favorite animals.
- Farm Animals: A compilation of video and images of farm animals.
- African Wildlife: A multimedia archive of African animals.
- Baby Videos: Videos of baby animals in the San Diego Zoo.
- Animal Sounds: A large gallery of animal sounds from the Card Wildlife Education Center.
- Animal Wildlife Videos: Videos of amphibians, birds, insects, mammals, marine animals, reptiles and prehistoric animals.
- Who am I?: Students listen to sounds and guess what makes it.
- Audio Clips: Sounds of wild animals of Belize.
- Animals in Nature: Sounds of common animals found in nature.
- Animal Noises: This page combines English and German to name animal sounds. Its fun way for students to hear how the sounds are in German.
- Videos: Videos of pets by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
Additional Animal Materials
- Quizzes: Choose between the large or small animal interactive quizzes.
- Classification Quiz: 12 question quiz students on their knowledge of classification of living things.
- Animal Quizzes: A collection of animal quizzes from all the continents.
- Zoology: A collection of lessons, worksheets, multimedia resources and tests on zoology.
- Vocabulary Quiz: An animal identifier quiz. Match the animal with the correct word. There are 46 questions.
- School Zoo: A first grade Web Quest that tasks students with choosing animals for their zoo and research the animal’s chosen